- New - A guide to making a Pistol/Gunslinger Build
- New - A guide to making a Melee Build
- New - Scav Magazine - All locations and details
- For New Players - Read the walkthrough.
- New - Open Season
- New - Power Play Quest
- New - Raider Outposts
- New - Nuka World Endings Guide - Options and Benefits
- The Grand Tour
- Faction Perks and New SPECIAL Ranks in Nuka World
- Gage (Companion)
Fallout 4: VANS Perk
Intelligence Perk Strategies & How Best to Use Them
The VANS Perk offers to show you the way to your nearest Quest destination in Fallout 4. Here's how the Perk works and what you can expect if you put the one point into this navigation bonus:
|Let Vault-Tec guide you! The path to your closest quest target is displayed in V.A.T.S.
Gameplay Effects & Utility
Hold the VATS button to use this Perk. When you do, a glowing path as pictured above will show you the way to the nearest Quest destination. The path also sticks around for a moment so that you can follow it around corners and see where to go next without again triggering VANS. If you want to truly take control of this, you'll need to go into your Pip-boy and unmark some quests as it is literally looking for the closest target in terms of distance.
When elevators or locked doors are involved, or you're in a building completely unrelated to the quest, the Perk may fail and say 'No Direct path seen'. This means you've either got to get outdoors, or through some door that is blocking your path. In combat, it shouldn't interfere with your view. The path only displays if you hold the button down, so that's a plus.
Honestly, this is probably a waste of a Perk point for most players. The compass does an excellent job of displaying Quest destinations if you keep your Quest log managed well. When you're in a building, it will show you if it's above or below, and what direction you need to make it to, even if you must go around things to get there. VANS would show you the direct path through a building, but that doesn't mean this is a good thing. Many of the best loot in Fallout 4 is found off the beaten path by exploring. If you just want to rush through this game, or you do not have a good sense of direction, VANS IS an excellent Perk choice, but I do not recommend it to the majority of players.
More Fallout 4 Guides
Share Tips and Strategies Below
- Raider Outposts in Nuka World
- Nuka World - Play as a Raider in this DLC
- Far Harbor - Learn about the DLC, its secrets, and read walkthroughs
- Automatron - Guides to building bots and quest walkthroughs
- Settlements - An in-depth guide to Settlements and managing them
- Melee Build - the best perks for a melee character
- Sneaking - Learn to be stealthy
- Critical Hits - Shots to Crit and Crit damage mechanics
- Tips for Making a Build - General advice for creating your own build
- Action Points - AP and all the things that affect it
- VATS - all about the V.A.T.S. and AP usage on weapons
- Gameplay Tips - pointers that will help new players
- Making a Sniper Rifle Weapon mod examples. Heavy hitter and fast-firing Comparison - two guns from the same base.