- New - A guide to making a Pistol/Gunslinger Build
- New - A guide to making a Melee Build
- New - Scav Magazine - All locations and details
- For New Players - Read the walkthrough.
- New - Open Season
- New - Power Play Quest
- New - Raider Outposts
- New - Nuka World Endings Guide - Options and Benefits
- The Grand Tour
- Faction Perks and New SPECIAL Ranks in Nuka World
- Gage (Companion)
Fallout 4: Virgil's Serum Location
Where to Get it in the Institute
If, like me, you want to keep your promise to Virgil after he's helped you infiltrate the Institute, then you may have been confused about where to find the Serum which he hopes will transform him. Do this as soon as possible after finding the Institute. If you wait too long, you will fail the quest after getting back to Virgil with the Serum. Definitely bring a few healing items and be prepared for a fight.
Head to the Institute
Even if you've been there before, you should be able to fast travel there unless you've been hostile to the residents.
Look for the Bioscience lab. It is one of the few that has the words marked under the symbol, so it's not the only green one. From there, you want to find the FEV lab - it's in the back, protected by a novice-level lock, meaning anyone can pick their way inside.
Inside FEV - Fight for the Serum
This area is heavily protected by turrets, and there is even a nasty Assaultron. I made short work of it, but had to tread carefully not knowing what the real threats were. After the Assaultron, nothing major of note came up - just 5 or 6 Turrets, and lots of materials.
The place looks like it's been completely abandoned. Go through the hallways, you literally cannot miss the serum machine pictured below, because there are not many branches off this corridor.
To minimize spoilers, I won't show a picture of the lab here, so you can see it for the first time yourself. This may color your view of the Institute, and help you pick a side. Of course, you may be fine with the way they're handling things!
You can use a terminal toward the end to get out of this area and back into the main Institute building. No one will be aware of what you did while inside, and you can take the serum back to Virgil at his Rocky Cave in the Glowing Sea.
Evil Route - you can con Virgil into killing himself, with 3 speech checks - he doesn't have the guts for it, but if you do it for him after convincing him, you can take his Laser Rifle, which does +50% damage to Supermutants.
I hope you found this guide helpful. If you think I've missed something people would like to know about, please email [email protected] with a suggestion.
More Fallout 4 Guides
Share Tips and Strategies Below
- Raider Outposts in Nuka World
- Nuka World - Play as a Raider in this DLC
- Far Harbor - Learn about the DLC, its secrets, and read walkthroughs
- Automatron - Guides to building bots and quest walkthroughs
- Settlements - An in-depth guide to Settlements and managing them
- Melee Build - the best perks for a melee character
- Sneaking - Learn to be stealthy
- Critical Hits - Shots to Crit and Crit damage mechanics
- Tips for Making a Build - General advice for creating your own build
- Action Points - AP and all the things that affect it
- VATS - all about the V.A.T.S. and AP usage on weapons
- Gameplay Tips - pointers that will help new players
- Making a Sniper Rifle Weapon mod examples. Heavy hitter and fast-firing Comparison - two guns from the same base.